|Level 4 Installation Technician in the Telecom/Cable Industry
** This position is in the Telecom / Cable Industry, working in the Central Office, Cell Sites, and/or Headend environments. Please do NOT apply unless you meet the minimum skills/qualifications/experience outlined below. **
Position requiring experience as an Installation Technician. Report to installation management and provide daily job status to project management. Experience in the telephone equipment system environment and/or cable industry including engineering and installation of Ironwork, Site Conditioning, DC Power, Batteries, Common Systems, Transport/Facilities, Digital Switch and all phases of complex AC wiring with emphasis on safety and quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES :
• Must be able to follow direction/instructions, and read & understand customer standards.
• Ability to run DC Power cables between power plant and network equipment.
• Strip, lug, terminate and fan out any cable.
• Understand what size lugs go with what type of cable.
• Understand what tool/crimper is used for what lug/cable.
• Understand and use color code.
• Strip, lug, terminate and fan out cable.
• Maintain a safe and hazard free work area.
• Meet all customer security requirements.
• Establish and maintain a professional rapport with Customers, Supervisor and Co-workers
• Provide job progress reports to supervisor on status of job, material shortages, customer complaints, and unsafe or inoperable tools.
• Perform any required cable and installation testing prior to turn over to Lead.
• Understand basic battery types, network equipment, power plants, UPS equipment.
• Wire wrap and punch-down connections .
• Category 5e cable connections accurately.
• Read and understand basic installation drawings and specifications.
• Perform basic Midtronics/Fluke and other testing and reporting.
• Perform accurate battery strapping, torquing and marking.
• Understand what tools are needed for each job before job starts.
• Accurately label all cables/equipment.
** LEVEL 4 TECHNICIANS ONLY **
In addition to the above experience, Technician must have the following experience:
• Strong management skills, strong engineering skills, complete projects on time and on budget.
• Exercises independent judgment of the standard for working on live power safely.
• Preferably 5+ years' experience in power transition work including the addition and remove of circuits on working power plants and BDFB & PDU's and ability to troubleshoot down to component l level on equipment such as power plants, fuse panels, batteries, etc.
• Utilizes hand tools, test equipment and turn up, perform hardware adds and/or upgrades.
• Site surveying and job walking experience
• Experience in performing all AC and DC work, reading Power Plant voltages.
• Perform as the professional point of contact person at all MOP meetings and with customer designated contacts, if assigned.
• Experience performing and reading power plant voltages.
• Identify new opportunities and communicate to management.
• Requires excellent verbal, written communication skills & customer relation skills.
• Must be able to provide high level of quality customer service to perform as the company's professional liaison during job installation.
• Must be able to complete Field Service Reports within a timely manner.
• Requires knowledge of equipment, manufacturer's specifications, estimation experience and job walking is a must.
• Ability to work independently and resourceful with good initiatives.
• Must be able to perform repeated bending & lifting of up to 100lbs during certain procedures
• Manage job scope of work changed using Job Information Memorandum (JIM) procedure, or the customer JIM procedure. Must be able to provide necessary pro-active recommendations to clients.
• Never approve or perform customer unauthorized work "out of scope".
• Knowledge of general computer hardware & software applications.
• Factory training or experience on standard industry power plant and battery manufacturer equipment.
• Determining/calculating cable sizing, rectifying cleaning and thorough knowledge of Telcordia, TP and Customer Standards.
• Candidate must be willing to work nights & weekends, and be willing to travel, when necessary.
SKILL, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAITS REQUIRED:
• AA/BS degree in Electrical and/or Electronics from an accredited college or university, or equivalent training on the job or military.
• Minimum of two years OEM experience or five years of progressively difficult experience in DC power installation, maintenance and repair.
• Proficiency in reading and interpreting, as well as updating, complex technical instructions, plans blueprints, and schematic diagrams.
• Heavy experience in the telephone equipment system environment and/or cable industry including engineering and installation of Ironwork, Strong Engineering Skills, Site Conditioning, DC Power, Batteries, Common Systems, Transport/Facilities, Digital Switch and all phases of complex AC wiring with emphasis on safety and quality.
• Minimum of 6 years related experience in Central Office installation environment, minimum 5 years related experience in DC Power installation, including Power Plant and 12V and 2V batteries. Minimum of 3 years management of multiple crews in Central Office, Cell Site and /or Headend environment.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate complex electrical systems, perform damage assessments, estimate maintenance, parts, and manpower requirements, diagnose malfunctions, and employ testing and inspection techniques.
• Common Telecom Manufacturer equipment certifications.
• Customer is #1
• Team Player
• Quality Minded
• Multi-tasking skills
** Candidate must successfully pass background and drug testing.
** Must have current drive license and auto insurance.
compensation: *DOE* employment type: *full-time*
Eligible for Benefits (medical, dental, 401(k), vacation, sick)