We’re Hiring a Senior Communications Specialist! Job Posting Number: PS103186
Join the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) as a Senior Communications Specialist and support the premier transportation police department in the nation! MTA Police safeguard the lives and property of the people they serve while maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and integrity throughout the metropolitan region.
We’re looking for a dynamic individual with a passion for public service at every state of their career, to help us fulfill our commitment to keeping New York moving. The Senior Communications Specialist will provide senior level technical expertise and support for the management, coordination, and administration of the MTA Police Communication field operations. Working closely with the Communications unit supervisor and Police Management, this position will provide senior level support in the operations of communication equipment and systems for the MTA Police. This role will require extensive travel within the MTA service network and the ability to work non-standard hours as project needs, and emergency conditions require.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Function as a senior support person to ensure effective communications equipment, maintenance, field inspection and general support for Police communications.
• Provide senior level support for the technical needs requirements of the Police for communication equipment and systems.
• Acts as primary communications contact with other local law enforcement agencies who interact with the MTA Police, keeps management abreast of trends and recommend equipment that integrates with other Police operations in the service area.
• Routinely inspect fixed equipment sites in the MTA Police Service area for compliance with MTA Police requirements.
• Provide senior level support in the implementation of technical standards, maintenance oversight, contract development, system designs and enhancements, as well as technical operations of the MTAPD radio system equipment.
• Act as the primary communications contact for the maintenance of the voice system equipment to meet the departments telecommunications needs.
• Monitor and maintain voice communications and trunked radio systems.
• Maintain and repair communications equipment and accessories.
• Maintenance of radio programming, radio maintenance service contracts, FCC mandated licenses and agreements, inventory and repair database.
• Provide senior level communications oversight and implementation management of upgrades and new systems.
• Develop, prepare and implement monthly reports and purchase requisitions.
• Develop, prepare and recommend technical communication alternatives.
• Provide senior level technical support to MTA PD Field Deployments/critical incident response.
• Provide senior level instruction to MTA PD personnel on the operations of all radiocommunication equipment.
• Interface with partner agencies to support MTAPD Communications, systems and initiatives.
• Provide senior level support to division command on MTA agency communications issues and regional interoperable communications committees.
• Performs all other duties as required in order to meet the business needs of the MTA Police Dept. Communication operations.
Must possess advanced communications experience with the ability to read schematic/technical documentation and use the applicable test equipment associated with electronics/communications.
Must have excellent understanding of electrical laws and radio communications principles.
Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
Must possess demonstrated leadership abilities.
Some work experience in Police operations is highly desirable and strongly preferred.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in electrical engineering, plus a minimum of five to seven years of experience in a professional nature in wireless communications and telecommunications.
This position offers a robust benefits package that includes, but is not limited to the following:
Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage Pension Plans Flexible Spending Accounts Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs New York’s 529 College Saving Plan Municipal Credit Union And more!
To view the full position description, and to learn more about additional responsibilities and requirements, and to apply, visit careers.mta.org and Search by Job Posting Number: PS103186 or use the following link: https://careers.mta.org/jobs/12418287-senior-communications-specialist
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.