|TelForce Group is looking for a Manager of OSP Engineering in the state of TN.
The Manager of Engineering must lead the design, build, and maintenance of fiber and copper distribution networks to support the delivery of next generation phone, high-speed internet, digital IPTV, and carrier-class Ethernet products. This position plays a significant role in long-term strategic planning; including the implementation of capital budgets, initiatives focused on overall operational excellence, and practices in support of the client’s vision and mission. This position will also be responsible for related work in the field and will interface with developers and other utilities to represent the client.
Manager of OSP Engineering Description:
• Work closely with the Director of Engineering and Construction to manage the operations of the department, ensuring resources are properly aligned to achieve the department’s goals and objectives.
o Monitor team results to identify and act on both positive and negative performance trends to ensure attainment of company, individual, and team goals.
o Assist with the development of short-term and long-term network plans to support product and customer goals, based on current and future planned neighborhood and business growth and selective overbuilding targets.
o Lead and manage third party contractors and internal team resources to safely complete assigned projects on-time and under budget.
• Manage the execution of multiple engineering and construction projects from design through construction, focused on aggressively expanding the client’s FTTP network at an industry-leading cost per passing and safety record, enabling the company to pass as many new premises as possible each year with its annual capital budget.
o Prepare detailed construction and installation drawings, maps, and estimates for equipment, labor and material costs.
o Select routing of lines and determine equipment requirements.
o Maintain adequate inventory levels by monitoring supply levels, determining project needs, and ordering necessary equipment, tools and supplies as needed.
o Plan and prepare drawings and staking sheets for new construction or removal or rearrangement of existing facilities.
o Pre-survey job sites to determine needs for workers, equipment, materials, and safety provisions.
o Schedule and assign work orders to appropriate crews, determining methods for doing work, coordinating equipment needed, and answering questions.
o Oversee and inspect construction and right-of-way crew work to ensure jobs are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
o Audit all quality of work of third party contractors and internal resources, ensuring compliance with
o RUS and industry specifications.
o Work with construction teams to ensure underground drops are installed in a timely manner following all local and state legal requirements (811).
• Assist with the management of planned and emergency network maintenance activity while minimizing impact to services.
o Respond to emergency calls as needed.
o Develop and implement emergency response systems and practices for all cable and fiber elements.
• Update and maintain a robust engineering database.
o Develop and maintain plant records and network drawings to insure all information is up to date and accurate.
o Regularly audit legacy network routes and service areas to update engineering database to reflect all relevant data, including fiber assignments and loop lengths.
o Regularly review and upgrade software applications to maintain current system architecture and to continue to add new tools and features to enable the client to work smarter.
• Assists with managing relationships with regional utilities and local and state governments.
o Assists with all pole attachment matters, including planning and coordinating transfers and make-readies.
o Work with TDOT and other utilities to meet road-move and right-of-way obligations. Maintain detailed records and submit all appropriate documentation and costs for reimbursement.
• Prepare, negotiate secure, and document all necessary permits, easements, and rights-of-ways.
• Helps lead workplace and operational safety for all of Engineering and Construction. Design and schedule appropriate safety training. Serve on the client’s Safety Committee.
• Maintain expert knowledge of all internal and external systems necessary to support all departmental operations. Specifically manage and implement all mapping and network record systems and continually evaluate options to further integrate with other company systems.
• Participate in ongoing educational and networking opportunities in order to maintain current knowledge of network operations, technology changes and matters as they relate to cost-effective FTTP deployment.
• Perform daily assigned tasks as related to construction and engineering projects.
Manager of OSP Engineering Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a related discipline, or the equivalent education and /or experience.
• Minimum 10+ years of experience in related engineering or network construction in the areas of responsibility listed above.
• PE designation desired, but not required.
• PC Skills – requires a basic understanding of computer hardware and software, especially word processing, and email, along with the ability to review and clear assignments and work orders.
• Ability to touch-type at 35+ WPM a plus.
• Expert knowledge of CAD and mapping software required. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio required.
• Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
• Demonstrates high ethical standards, strong work ethic with an emphasis on team commitment, showing respect for others, the ability to acknowledge and build on others’ ideas, and support for group decisions.
• Must be an expert at FTTP engineering design documentation and cost analysis, and related engineering database recordkeeping.
• Must have expert knowledge of telecommunications design and construction practices, requirements, and regulations.
• Must have an understanding of process standardization procedures and the ability to create and maintain written documentation, training materials and network records.
• Ability to create business cases, analysis, and presentations.
• Ability and interest to work in a dynamic and rapidly changing technology environment, effectively dealing with multiple projects, stress, conflict, coaching, and monitoring subordinates.
• Must possess excellent communication skills (oral and written), including the ability to effectively articulate complex situations to colleagues with varying degrees of network knowledge.
• Must have the ability to solve problems with patience and a positive approach.
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized with the ability to work efficiently to meet deadlines.
• Ability to operate motorized work equipment and office equipment, including personal computers, phone systems, software applications, hand tools, electric tools, and test sets.
Candidates must be at least 18 years old and be able to pass a Background, Drug and DMV screening to be considered for all job openings. Candidates must have a valid driver’s licenses and be insured; some jobs may require travel up to multiple weeks at a time. Please send all resumes with certifications relative to the job to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, please note the position you are applying for, a current resume in Word format, 2 references, phone number and email. We reserve the right at all times to disclose any information as we deem necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, in our sole discretion. All resumes submitted to TelForce will become the property of TelForce and shall have the right to display to a third party or in our database for consumption. Call August at 615.915.3119.