|Company: North Slope Telecom
Job Title: Telecommunication Engineer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Projects and Engineering Manager
This position is responsible for designing and overseeing the installation of various types of telecommunications equipment and facilities, such as complex network and switching systems, copper or fiber cabling, and RF transmission systems over satellite, microwave and radio. The Engineer will be responsible for assessing situations, solving problems and finding solutions by using their knowledge of telecommunications. This job requires frequent visits to multiple job sites some of which involve overnight travel. Certain projects may also involve the Engineer assuming some responsibilities associated with project management.
• Review or evaluate proposals or bids to make recommendations regarding awarding of contracts.
• Study job specifications and completed site assessments to identify customer solutions based on cost, reliability, constructability, complexity, and maintainability, including fabrication, modification, or specialty component purchases.
• Develop scope of project functions, such as design, additional site assessments, environmental studies, surveying, or field support services that maybe required.
• Design, implement, or improve electrical or telecom instruments, equipment, facilities, components or systems for commercial or industrial purposes.
• Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
• Estimate labor, material, or construction costs for budget preparation.
• Confer with designer and project manager to discuss and inform about design concepts and explain requirements of detailed working drawings.
• Prepare telecommunication schematics and supporting documents to assist others develop, compute, and verify specifications for computer-aided drafting data, such as configuration of parts, dimensions, and tolerances.
• Monitor and analyze system performance, such as network traffic, security, and capacity, providing support in system troubleshooting as needed.
• Keep abreast of changes in industry practices and emerging telecommunications technology by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
• Analyze and confer to resolve or intervene for complaints or problems that may require updated designs and adapt scope for contingencies or received change orders as needed
• Provide verbal or written project status reports to project teams, management, subcontractors, customers, or owners.
• Assist in evaluation and assessment of final results. Assist in activities for turn-over or those concerned with the on-going maintenance of structures, facilities, or systems if requested by scope.
• Participate in close-out meetings with project team, to record and properly archive lessons learned and best practices achieved.
• Mentor or train project team members as needed.
• Ensure safety measures are met through industry standards and company specific training.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
• Telecommunications experience.
• PE or Electrical Administrator License preferred.
• Oil and gas industry experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Proven ability to prepare detailed design drawings & diagrams for engineering packages
• Working knowledge of industry standards; NEC, NESC, EIA/TIA etc.
• Identify & perform required calculations for path, space, power, weight, reliability, heat dissipation etc.
• Experience in RF & satellite system design.
• Working knowledge of & experience with fiber optic and copper network design.
• Understanding of VoIP and RoIP applications.
• Experience designing remote power solutions Identify customer solutions based on cost, reliability, constructability, complexity, and maintainability.
• Proficiency with job application software; including but not limited to CAD, MS Office/Project.
• Provide support in system troubleshooting.
• Effective written and oral communications skills.
• Effective time management and planning skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to manage multiple, complex, concurrent projects without supervision.
• Highly motivated, proven self-starter.
Physical Demand and Work Environment:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required, sometimes for extended periods, to walk, stand, or sit. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. The employee is occasionally required to climb ladders or stairs; use hands to type, finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and get in and out of vehicles. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move small or large objects up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not to be constructed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the direction of North Slope Telecom.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above job description in its entirety and am capable of performing all the stated requirements.
Employee Signature Date
North Slope Telecom is an Equal Opportunity Employer.